Since 1970, Smith, Welch, Webb & White has helped both private schools and public school systems throughout the State on all manner of legal issues. From serving as primary counsel, to partnering with local and in-house counsel and acting as insurance counsel on litigation matters, to assisting on individual claims and issues, the attorneys at Smith Welch have over 100 years of combined experience in handling a wide variety of school related issues.
Our Experience Includes:
- Advising on Board and School Policy
- Special Education
- Student Discipline Hearings, Appeals and Training
- Employment Litigation (EEOC and Federal Courts)
- Administrative Hearings
- State and Federal Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Teacher Termination Hearings
- Acting as Local Counsel on Bond Issues
- E-SPLOST Referendums and Capital Expenditures
- Advising On Open Meeting and Open Record Requirements
- FERPA and Student Confidentiality
- Student and School Data Protection Requirements
- School Safety
- Superintendent Searches, Evaluations and Contracts
- School Construction Contracts and Litigation
- Service Contract Negotiation and Litigation
- Free Speech and Other Constitutional Issues
- Board Governance and Parliamentary Procedure
- Board Member and Administration Training
What is Education Law or School Law?
Education law or school law is the portion of the law in Georgia or a county or city that specifically governs educational bodies such as public and private schools and universities. Various education laws cover every aspect of education and school systems.
Education law is very complex. Our top-tier attorneys have handled numerous matters of education law such as:
- Student speech and expression
- Special education matters
- Searches of students
- The separation of church and state
- Employment Law
- Employee Sexual Harassment and abuse of students
- The financing of public education
What type of Education Law does Smith, Welch, Webb & White handle?
- Teacher termination
- Employment matters
- Special education matters
- Student disciplinary appeals
- EEOC issues
- Creating school board policy
Just some of our current school law clients:
- Henry County Board of Education– We have represented the HCBOE since 1970. With over 50 schools and 41,000 students, the Henry County school district is one of the largest school districts in Georgia.
- Butts County Board of Education– We have represented Butts County School System (BCSS) since 1980.
- Peach County School District– Peach County School District has six schools: Byron Elementary, Byron Middle, Hunt Elementary, Kay Road Elementary, Fort Valley Middle, and Peach County High School. All six schools are Title I schools. The District has a FTE enrollment count of 3,782 students.
“I am so Thankful to have such a great firm on my side…”
“I wouldn’t hesitate to use William White and the rest of this firm if the need arose again. Everyone was extremely professional, thorough and extremely knowledgeable…”
“Very professional, and caring. The secretary Jody has the sweetest personality. Casey my attorney put his all into each case. Due to Casey hard work and dedication to my case we won my disability case.“
“The Best and only Law Firm you will ever need in Georgia!!!“
“Great attorneys and nice folks who work there.“
“The attorneys and staff at this firm do a great job, and go above and beyond to help people out. I definitely recommend using them.“
“Very professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and efficient. No complaints whatsoever.“
“Professional, knowledgeable, straight away to resolve the problem.“
“Very Personable, comfortable, efficient. Great people.“
“Best law firm in the Atlanta area.“
“Love this law firm. The staff is always so nice and helpful. They ease my anxiety and worries about my legal issues.“
“An excellent firm I would highly recommend. Their attorneys offer a variety in law. The support staff is knowledgeable and very competent! You can’t go wrong with this firm.“
“I am so happy that I met or what I can say introduced to Smith Welch Webb and white Attorney office is the best they would go all the way with you just give them a chance my attorney name is Orion Webb he is absolutely the best that I have seen and he have been my attorney four 2 years now I can always count on him great job“
“As a healthcare provider in Henry County, I have had the pleasure of working with this firm over the last several years. I find them to be honest, competent and always look to the needs of their clients.“