Since 1970, Smith, Welch, Webb & White has helped both private schools and public school systems throughout the State on all manner of legal issues. From serving as primary counsel, to partnering with local and in-house counsel and acting as insurance counsel on litigation matters, to assisting on individual claims and issues, the attorneys at Smith Welch have over 100 years of combined experience in handling a wide variety of school related issues.
Our Experience Includes:
- Advising on Board and School Policy
- Special Education
- Student Discipline Hearings, Appeals and Training
- Employment Litigation (EEOC and Federal Courts)
- Administrative Hearings
- State and Federal Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Teacher Termination Hearings
- Acting as Local Counsel on Bond Issues
- E-SPLOST Referendums and Capital Expenditures
- Advising On Open Meeting and Open Record Requirements
- FERPA and Student Confidentiality
- Student and School Data Protection Requirements
- School Safety
- Superintendent Searches, Evaluations and Contracts
- School Construction Contracts and Litigation
- Service Contract Negotiation and Litigation
- Free Speech and Other Constitutional Issues
- Board Governance and Parliamentary Procedure
- Board Member and Administration Training
What is Education Law or School Law?
Education law or school law is the portion of the law in Georgia or a county or city that specifically governs educational bodies such as public and private schools and universities. Various education laws cover every aspect of education and school systems.
What are the main areas covered by Education Law?
Education law is very complex. The main areas of Education Law are:
- Student speech and expression
- Special education matters
- Searches of students
- The separation of church and state
- Employment Law
- Employee Sexual Harassment and abuse of students
- The financing of public education
What type of Education Law does Smith, Welch, Webb & White handle?
- Teacher termination
- Employment matters
- Special education matters
- Student disciplinary appeals
- EEOC issues
- Creating school board policy
Just some of our current school law clients:
- Henry County Board of Education – We have represented the HCBOE since 1970. With over 50 schools and 41,000 students, the Henry County school district is one of the largest school districts in Georgia.
- Butts County Board of Education – We have represented Butts County School System (BCSS) since 1980.
- Peach County School District – Peach County School District has six schools: Byron Elementary, Byron Middle, Hunt Elementary, Kay Road Elementary, Fort Valley Middle, and Peach County High School. All six schools are Title I schools. The District has a FTE enrollment count of 3,782 students.
Request a case evaluation
Call us at 1.855.505.SWWW (7999) today or fill out the web form to schedule your legal consultation and case evaluation.
*All form fields are required